Thursday, October 29, 2009

Today's Artist Showcase is...Brian Butler!!

These are photos of a Brian Butler painting I bought a couple years ago...

When I saw his work at the Modus Lotus POP Euphoria! show, it stopped me in my tracks. It was so bizarre, unique, and wonderful. The subject of this and many of his paintings is the Ice Cream People

The way he depicts this seemingly innocuous and whimsical subject matter just makes me laugh. They look so demented, and his paint strokes give a feeling of frenzied urgency and drama that's so antithetical to the way ice cream people have been depicted in mainstream advertising in the past.  

I had a chance to chat with Brian at the POP Euphoria! show. It was refreshing to meet such a young, talented, and successful artist who's also so approachable, unpretentious, and friendly. :)


Enjoy! 

No comments: