Sunday, March 7, 2010

Portrait of the artist as a young snarck...

This week I'll be writing about early comic work and influences.
As such, this was my childhood and adolescent bible...

As a kid, I thought this book was the most hilarious thing EVER. I loved the format of multiple possible answers, and that you could write in your own. I poured over Al Jaffee's illustrations for hours. I was fascinated by what made them work. I loved the over-the-top physical gestures and facial expressions, including those of the blase-moron-question-askers...  


1 comment:

Bret M. Herholz said...

Don Martin was always my favorite of the MAD artist. There was this great one where a guy is walking by a fence and on the other side hears voices saying "Four! Four! Four!" and the guy looks over the fence and is immediately hit by a brick. The voices then say "Five! Five! Five!" as the man stumbles away and we find out the other side of the fence is a Mental Hospital :-)