Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Documentary craze - I Like Killing Flies

Oh-my-garsh! I love this documentary! It's on Netflix 'Watch Instantly' so you should definitely check it out. And it's not about killing flies either - so, I don't know why they gave it that title. It's about Shopsins restaurant in NYC and follows the daily work and musings of eccentric owner and head cook, Kenny Shopsin. I love it because it makes me feel like I'm in NYC. I also love watching and listening to Kenny work. His kitchen is old, run-down, and held together with all kinds of oddball homespun fixes. It's a refreshing break from the HGTV-ified universe where everyone has to have the latest, greatest, top-of-the-line oven in order to steam a vegetable. It's fascinating to watch Kenny cook. He's sloppy looking and just looks like he's slopping all these random  ingredients together while he talks non-stop about random subjects. But anyone lucky enough to sit at one of his tables knows that this low-tech, sloppy dude is a culinary genius and creator of over 100 dishes on the menu, all of which he makes completely from scratch. 

 I Like Killing Flies, made in 2004, was produced, directed, filmed, and edited by Matt Mahurin

No comments: